One of the big topics circulating around these days on sports talk radio is the question of who is the most valuable player in the National Basketball Association. The consensus opinion seems to be that the top two candidates for the honor, Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant and Miami's Lebron James, are both running very close to each other while being far ahead of any other competition. I happen to agree, since both Durant and James are complete, versatile players who can effectively play any position on the court. Also, each has carried his team in several games this year when the #2 players (Russell Westbrook and Dywane Wade, respectively) were out with injuries...and both teams are leading their respective divisions with excellent win-loss records. There is a good chance that they also will be the championship final teams...wouldn't that be something to behold??!!
Beyond James and Durant, who would be good enough for third place in the MVP running? Lately I've been hearing a lot about how the Los Angeles Clippers have been carried by Blake Griffin...who has especially shined while compensating for the absence of injured point guard Chris Paul. As a matter of fact, perhaps the key factor for most valuable player consideration, besides playing for a winning team, is to have an important teammate out due to injury and to perform well in his absence. It seems to detract from a player's consideration for the top honor to enjoy having a healthy team and to play unselfishly for it. As for me, others can have the MVP award; just let my team win, superstar or no superstar...
And speaking of "my" team, exactly which ones fit that category? Well, I like Miami and Brooklyn in the East...and San Antonio, Houston, and the Los Angeles Clippers in the West. Oklahoma City is very good with Durant and Company, I confess, but I still haven't yet gotten over them deserting Seattle in their move to the Sooner State a few years ago...