Well, later on today it will be decided: the National Football League Championship of the 2013 season. I suppose that, after it's over, I can finally get along with regarding myself as being in 2014! This edition of the Super Bowl, taking place in East Rutherford, New Jersey, pits the Seattle Seahawks of the NFC against the Denver Broncos of the AFC. Both teams are what I would term "complete" teams with solid offenses and defenses...along with some star players. We all know about the great Peyton Manning for Denver, with his spectacular record-breaking regular season. His cast of receivers has also become well-known. Seattle's biggest star is their running back Marshawn Lynch...and here is where we see the strategic scenario developing for the game. Seattle relies on their running game for three purposes: open up the passing game for their able young quarterback Russell Wilson, keep the potent and explosive Denver offense off the field, and last but certainly not least, score a lot of points for themselves! On the other "side" of these teams, the Bronco defense has had difficulties stopping their opponents at times, but Seattle's has been truly remarkable with the cohesive, unselfish manner in which they work together as a unit to crush drive after drive. I attribute most of their success to their head coach Pete Carroll, who has made this group believe and rally around him. Sure, we hear from time to time about their star cornerback Richard Sherman and his showboating remarks reminiscent of pro wrestler rantings, but on the field he blends well with his teammates. Still, Seattle will have their hands full with the Manning-directed offense, and will have trouble rushing the quarterback if they can't stop the Broncos' effective rushing attack headed by Knoshon Moreno. Oh, I haven't mentioned Denver's coach John Fox, another outstanding leader.
I am picking Seattle to slip by Denver in a close game and, like many of the other predictions I have heard on radio and TV, I think it will be in the "twenties" for both sides: Seattle 27, Denver 23. I'll also be rooting strongly for the Seahawks...