I just finished reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the first volume of the late Swedish writer Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy. As you might suspect, the setting of this story is Sweden...and the trilogy's title refers to the name of the story's magazine that Mikael Blomvist, one of the two main protagonists, runs. In this first story, he finds himself found guilty in the courts for defaming a seedy wealthy industrialist and readies himself for a short jail term. He then finds his future plans radically altered by another aging industrialist, named Henrik Vanger, when the latter hires him to investigate the 1966 disappearance and presumed murder of his daughter Harriet. Blomvist is chosen for this job largely because of the extensive background check performed for Vanger by Lisbeth Salander, an antisocial prodigy with a flair for getting in trouble with the authorities...and the other main protagonist. The novel involves several other characters, including several "suspects' in the Vanger family...but Blomvist and Salander are the standouts. The story eventually has them meeting up with each other and becoming a formidable investigatory team, eventually solving the Harriet Vanger affair...and then going further with other matters.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one of the best written thrillers I've come across in recent memory...and I've gone through quite a few lately. The protagonists are very likeable and unforgettable, especially the enigmatic Salander. I strongly recommend it to anyone who is into the mystery genre of fiction. It was also recently made into a movie...featuring among others the British actor Daniel Craig, performing between James Bond roles. Perhaps you've already seen it; I haven't yet, but since it's on Netflix I'll probably watch it now that I've read the book. And I will most definitely be reading the next in the trilogy, titled The Girl Who Played with Fire...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment