Saturday, December 7, 2013

Today's NCAA Football Conference Title Games

Today marks that time that all true college football fans look forward to each year, and some have more than a passing interest since one of their own teams is involved.  It is conference championship game Saturday!  Now that the Pac-12 and Big Ten conferences have finally joined in with the playoff concept, almost all major conferences now have a championship game...and the results will determine the national championship game lineup as well as which team gets to play in which bowl game.  The conferences getting the most attention are the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, and Southeastern since the teams involved in those contests are the highest ranked and figure in the national championship game.  Top-ranked Florida State plays 20th-ranked Duke in the ACC, a game that hardly anyone (including me) thinks will go Duke's way. The Big Ten and SEC games should be close and exciting, though.  Ohio State, currently undefeated and ranked #2, faces off against Michigan State in the Big Ten.  Should Michigan State win this game, the Southeastern Conference title game between Auburn and Missouri should determine who faces Florida State in the national championship game. The only problem I see with all this is if Ohio State wins their contest, finishes undefeated, but still gets deprived of a national championship opportunity because of bias in favor of the SEC.  I hope that does not happen.

Other major conference matchups include Stanford vs. Arizona State in the Pacific-12 and the final week for the regular season in the Big-12 (they have forgone having conference championship games).  In the Big-12, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Baylor at present are still in the running for that conference's championship, depending on how their games go today.

As far as the games which are already lined up for today are concerned, I'm pulling for Florida State, Michigan State, Auburn, and Arizona State in their respective contests.  I guess that ultimately I'd like to see Auburn and FSU face off for the national championship: Florida State is a "home state" team and I am grateful for Auburn beating Nick Saban's team, whichever one he happened to be coaching (it happened to be Alabama this time).  But if Ohio State wins their game today, I want them included in the title game next month...

No comments:

Post a Comment