I wonder what it would be like to attend a hockey game in person. I'm not a northerner, having grown up in south Florida and currently living in north Florida for more than 36 years, so ice hockey is not a sport that I ever played or was ever played in any school I attended, including college. We do have the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning NHL pro teams here in Florida, but I think maybe their main source of fan appeal is from transplants from the north.
On channel 33 where I live, I can often watch NHL games and sometimes do, although I am not at all clear about the various rules in the sport. In particular, I feel a bit clueless about what constitutes off-sides and icing penalties...and I'm not sure what the rules are restricting opposing team access to the goal area. I think that perhaps I should pay a visit to YouTube to see if there isn't some kind of video illustrating these rules.
Earlier this spring I enjoyed watching the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs and was excited at the play of "my" team, the Chicago Blackhawks. However, if I ever do go to attend hockey games, I'm sure my allegiances will naturally shift to the most "local" team around, which is Tampa Bay...which I hear actually did win the league's Stanley Cup championship playoffs one year and in so doing traumatized everyone to the point that they cancelled the following year's season...
Actually, all kidding aside, it was a management's lockout against the players in a labor contract dispute that caused the season-long cancellation. But the Lightning got a "two-for" out of it: they got to be defending champions for two straight years!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment