Friday, December 13, 2013
Job Nixes Race Plans Again
Once again, my workplace has tripped me up just as I was going to enter a running race. Before last Thanksgiving I was about to sign up for the 10K Turkey Trot here in Gainesville, but fortunately I hadn't paid anything yet before I discovered that they had me scheduled to work on my holiday, something that is not supposed to happen...especially in a place where seniority is supposed to count for something (I've been working there for more than 26 years). But it was a trade-off of sorts, since I made some extra money for my extra work. Besides, as I wrote in a previous article, I would have a December 15K race on the 14th that I could run in...and it would be on a Saturday, my day off and on which I don't believe I ever had to work since I switched to the graveyard shift in early March. So last night I tried twice to register online for the event (for which I was also signing up my daughter, who was going to run their 5K race), but a glitch kept the registration from going through. No problem, I'll just sign up and pay on the morning of the race, right? Then, while at work last night I was notified that I have to report in for Saturday morning...in direct conflict with the race. So the only two times that I have had to unexpectedly report for work in the past 9+ months have come when I was about to run a race. Once again, I suppose that there will be that trade-off of making some extra money for my trouble. And I have to admit that it was quite fortunate that my online registration (and payment) was prevented in both instances, saving me a tidy sum of money in the process...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment