Friday, December 27, 2013

Finsished Reading Baldacci's Divine Justice

Today I finished a quick read through David Baldacci's novel Divine Justice, which is the fourth installment in his Camel Club series.  I earlier read the first volume, also titled The Camel Club, several months ago but inadvertently skipped the next two books.  Actually, I picked Divine Justice because it happened to be what was on my library shelf when I stopped by the other day (usually I check out my items after placing holds on online catalogue searches).  As it turned out, with this series it is a good idea to read the books in order, as Divine Justice feeds heavily off the events of the immediately preceding book Stone Cold and often refers to events from second book The Collectors.  Still, in spite of feeling irritated at missing out on much of what underlies the developing story in Divine Justice, I was still able to follow it.  One reason is that Baldacci's heroic characters are very likable and are fun to follow, demonstrating humor and rapport with one another.  Not that what transpires in this novel has much to laugh and smile about: it's just refreshing, after plowing through the ponderous fantasy series of George R.R. Martin and Terry Goodkind with their ever-grim characters, to see a few with the ability to take things in stride every now and then.

The Camel Club series is about ex-CIA professional assassin "Oliver Stone" (his assumed name) and his collected assortment of loyal friends (hence the series title)...and how they struggle to get through their various crises.  I felt that the first book was better, while Divine Justice reminded me of television's David Bannister or MacGyver going to small towns and getting caught up in their dramas and scandals.  I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.  Still, the writing was easy to follow, the story flowed well, and the characters were compelling.  And the book wasn't too long, either! 

I suppose that now I'll go back to #2 and read The Collectors.  Excuse me while I go to my library's catalogue and place it on hold...

No comments:

Post a Comment