For the second time in a two-month span, I have skipped a half-marathon running race that was held here in my home town of Gainesville. I thought that I could have finished the last one, the Tom Walker Memorial Half-Marathon held on Saturday morning, November 16, but the weather was unseasonably warm and extremely humid. That morning, instead of running 13.1 miles, I stepped out of my front door and ran a short 2.33 mile course through my immediate neighborhood. It was a very unpleasant run, affirming my decision to bypass this race. I do believe that I have the endurance necessary to finish a half-marathon, although my final time probably won't be up there with my best.
I look ahead on the calendar and see, early in 2014, two half-marathons that I have run in before: Ocala in January and the FivePoints (Gainesville) in February. Perhaps I'll just aim for these. In the meantime, there is the 10K Turkey Trot run to be held in town on Thanksgiving morning the 28th. This sounds like a good event to enter.
Should I feel more comfortable running in a half-marathon before next year, I might check out the area calendar for December. For example, there is a half-marathon scheduled in Jacksonville at the end of that month...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment