Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Finished Reading Goodkind's Blood of the Fold

I have just completed reading Terry Goodkind's third novel in his twelve-part The Sword of Truth series, titled Blood of the Fold.  The title refers to an organization that parallels the Spanish Inquisitional movement in our own history, with a religiously fanatical leader going around with his army looking for heretics that he arbitrarily designates as working for the "Keeper" (analogous to Satan) while he continuously justifies his own cruel actions as being for the "Creator" (i.e. the Lord God).  It's obviously Goodkind's own statement against religious intolerance...the demonization of anything that is beyond the direct control of whoever is on a judgmental religious track in their lives.  But beyond that, Blood of the Fold is more or less a continuation of the author's fantasy world roller coaster ride of series protagonists Richard, Kahlan, and Zedd with a new cast of foes and all assortments of magical and prophetic quirks and gimmicks.  Now that I know how this series is going, along with the fact that there are nine more books to go, I feel that I can probably expect more of the same as I read on.  However, as tedious as this may seem, I do enjoy Goodkind's writing and his rather philosophical take on how people should live their lives and view things.  That doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with all that he promotes, but I know how to filter out the useful from the dross...

Oh, by the way, I was anticipating Terry Goodkind introducing a new "wizard's rule" as he did in each of the first two volumes.  I wasn't disappointed, as he revealed in his "Wizard's Third Rule":

Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.  

Next: Volume #4, Temple of the Winds...

No comments:

Post a Comment