Wednesday, November 13, 2013

About to Begin Book Three in Sword of Truth Series

I am continuing on my literary journey through the massive jungle of fantasy writer Terry Goodkind's twelve-volume Sword of Truth series, having just completed the second book Stone of Tears.  Once again, the main characters of Richard, Kahlan, and Zedd are struggling through a war-infested world full of magic, intrigue, and dire prophecies.  Knowing that I'm going to end up plowing through twelve books gives me a dual feeling: one, the main characters...at least Richard...will manage to survive their ordeals in each book (at least for a while in the series), and two, whatever victories that they achieve at the end of one book will quickly be transformed into potentially disastrous problems for the next.  That's fine with me, for the main appeal in this series is Goodkind's writing style and how he allows his characters to develop and learn from their situations.  Also, in each of the two previous books, Goodkind has revealed a "wizard's rule", the correct or wrongful application of which has a direct bearing on how the story culminates.  I wonder if he'll continue in the next book with a new rule.

I'm about to start on book #3, titled Blood of the Fold.

No comments:

Post a Comment