The gym I go to is the biggest in Gainesville (well, the UF student recreation center might be bigger). It has at least two stories to it (maybe more) and is loaded with weight training equipment, weight machines, and cardio machines. There is an indoor pool and adequate locker rooms. There's even a cafe there in the lobby, although the prices to me seem a bit steep. Also, it has an indoor basketball court area and a large empty room for group workout activities. Outside, there is, on the northern end of the parking lot, an outdoor obstacle course training area. And there are lots of TVs downstairs, and upstairs as well...embedded within treadmills, at least. I know because I almost always use these second-floor treadmills when I go there. No weights, stationary bikes, elliptical machines, basketball, pool, obstacle course...just running on treadmills. And knowing that the place is available 24 hours per day is reassuring. Still, there are times when I really need to avoid the place. Like yesterday during late afternoon rush hour.
I have my own schedules and unfortunately often find myself out and about, driving through rush hour traffic. Yesterday was one such time and I went into my local gym to run on one of the 15-20 upstairs treadmills. No such luck befell me as I got up there and found them all taken. So I sighed to myself, walked downstairs, and tried out one of the ground floor treadmills. I don't like these machines as much as the ones upstairs: they seem clumsier and don't have the televisions on them that enable me to channel surf while running. Still, my main goal was running and I gamely plodded onward. But then the ground floor environment began to bother me. All of the sounds seemed amplified and it felt warmer there than on the second floor. I cranked out four miles, but felt as if I had run much further. I wonder what the matter is with that place! This afternoon I got to the gym earlier, around 3:30, and the upstairs treadmills were available (but not many). I got on one and easily ran five miles. Only time constraints in my schedule kept me from running further, and the run was smooth sailing with little discomfort.
It could be that I am becoming very finicky about my running conditions. I have less tolerance for outdoor weather and I don't like running inside either, if the conditions don't meet my preferences. Still, there's no need in punishing myself in 90-degree-plus weather or running in less comfortable conditions indoors...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment