In Florida we have two separated months in which the love bug population makes its appearance. The major month of this is May, while in September a smaller recurrence of them takes place. This bugs tend to swarm and mate over warm surfaces. Hence, they are more prevalent during these periods on open highways like the Interstate, where passing vehicles heat up the road and attract them in hordes. As a result there are a lot of very splattered windshields...which is also very annoying. But I'm not on the Interstate and this isn't May...it's September, the supposably "mild" time for them. Yet these pests are everywhere. I'm sitting here at my usual Starbucks in the Magnolia Parke shopping center and am looking out of the window at masses of these critters, who are making a spectacle of themselves that actually dwarfs May conditions at their worst!
I know what is the cause of this preponderance of love bugs: the extraordinarily hot and long summer we've been experiencing. There is no letup in the high temperatures, and although I had earlier expressed hope in a gradual cooling a few days ago, no such cooling is forecast for the next few days, at least.
In a way, I am glad for the overwhelming nuisance of these insects. For they reaffirm my disturbance at this year's weather: first, an almost nonexistent winter, then a very early, hot, and humid summer, and now a delay for more usual seasonal cooling. I don't think the meteorologists are fully on top of this phenomenon: they had predicted a very active hurricane season this year with many U.S. landfall threats. The opposite has happened, though. Another trend I've noticed is how the multiple-day temperature high forecasts are almost ways raised as the target day approaches. And many times I turn on the weather station and notice, for example, that the current temperature will be something like 92 degrees when the stated predicted high is, say, 87!
Oh by the way, I am DEFINITELY going to my air-conditioned gym to do my running today...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment