The other day I wrote how Tim Tebow needed to broaden his goals for the future regarding his participation in the National Football League as a player. The simple, if sad, fact is that teams across the league do not want to use him as a quarterback. Period. But he is a good runner. If you just take this year's preseason stats with the Patriots, he amassed 91 yards on 16 carries...that's not half bad: we're talking 5.7 yards/carry, and that's as a quarterback! I've long thought of Tebow as a good straight-ahead, bulldog sort of runner on the order of Larry Csonka, and this isn't some flight of imaginative speculation on my part. In college as a freshman, this was HIS ROLE as backup quarterback under coach Urban Meyer: come in on third or fourth downs with short yardage to go and pick up the first down, preferably by running. He was wildly successful at this and contributed greatly to Florida's national championship that year (in 2006). Then, the following year as starting quarterback he garnered the Heisman Trophy and I suppose that went to his head.
If I had dreamed from childhood of being a star actor in films, I would naturally also have dreamed of playing the lead roles in them. But as I grew up and MATURED, I could still dream of stardom but realize that the overwhelming drive was to act, to be actively employed in the industry I had become so enamored with in my younger years. Only a prima donna diva would say at the outset of their career that they would only work for anyone making a movie if they were given top billing from the getgo. Yet this is essentially what Tebow is saying, as reports arise that, after he was cut from New England, another team approached him interested more in his running talents. But he apparently declined them, still insisting on that "top billing".
This all gives me the impression that Tim Tebow doesn't really love football or want to make a positive contribution to a team, but rather is irrevocably smitten with the allure of personal stardom and media attention as the top dog quarterback...and nothing else will do. Good luck with THAT, Tim...I'm outta here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment