Sunday, July 28, 2013

Local Gym Not to Provide Indoor Track Against Sweltering Heat

Today I ran one of my "standard" courses around my neighborhood, comprising 3.24 miles.  It was a pretty average run with me going the distance with my regular pace.  But although the humidity had dropped to about 60%, the temperature had risen to 87 and it was a very unpleasant run.  When, oh when will this sweltering summer heat end?

I've noticed recently an increased sensitivity to heat with myself when I am out running.  In times gone by it didn't seem to matter that much, but now it's getting pretty intolerable.  I don't always like the idea of resorting to the air-conditioned indoor treadmill to get in my running miles...and if it's not excessively hot outside, then it's excessively humid...if not raining.  Running in place in my house is an option, but I'd rather be covering some distance in the process.

At the University of Florida, they have a student recreation center that has a cool indoor track that would solve my running location dilemma, if only I were a member.  I AM a member of a local fitness company, called the Gainesville Health and Fitness Center.  They have plenty of treadmills but no indoor track.  But wait...they have been expanding their operation and the new, larger facility will open tomorrow with great fanfare...but alas WITHOUT an indoor track!  How regrettable, for them to ignore something that basic...

No comments:

Post a Comment