Friday, July 19, 2013

Enjoyable Treadmill Workout

Tonight I enjoyed the beginning of my weekend as a severe thunderstorm descended over my area, sending temperatures plummeting 20 degrees and giving me the excuse to forego running through my neighborhood and instead go to my local air-conditioned gym and use one of their treadmills.  This I did and easily amassed five miles, wondering to myself if maybe I'm not so out of shape after all (I could have run further).  It could well be that I have just become more sensitive to very hot weather over the years.  I looked back on my records with awe when I saw that I had regularly gone out on ten-plus mile runs in stifling summer mid-nineties conditions.  And then put in full, strenuous work days!  Of course, my mind back then was set on me getting in condition to run 26.2 mile marathon races, a feat I briefly attained early in 2011 but then quickly abandoned in favor of the more reasonable 13.1 half-marathon race. 

Although the treadmill is good to me, I still feel the need to do road running as well.  I may just take some days and run shorter distances on the road and alternate these with longer treadmill workouts...

No comments:

Post a Comment