One of the more interesting radio stations we've had here in Gainesville is on 99.5: WBXY. Until just a few days ago it had an all-talk format, branding itself as "Star 99.5". Its owners, however, did not see their expected return on their investment and dramatically changed the programming to around-the-clock electronic dance music, with the new appellation "Party 99.5". I have mixed feelings about this change, which on the surface seems to cater to the more vacuous, bubble-headed elements of the listening community.
Ever since I switched in March to graveyard shift at work, I have been listening more to talk radio. One station, 97.3 WSKY, broadcasts George Noory's Coast-to-Coast AM show. Depending on the guest and topic, I might listen in...but usually I switch over to 99.5 (until the change, that is). Opposite Noory, at least until 3 AM, is Jim Bohannon, a conservative talk show host who nevertheless is more typified by his rationalism than by any ideology. But from 3 to 5 was when I REALLY tuned in to this station, because that was when one of this age's truly amazing radio acts was on: Phil Hendrie. Hendrie has had a show for several years in which he interviews a variety of guests, with the aid of his studio on-air assistants...and some of the guests substitute for him on the air as well. These people have very idiosyncratic views, to say the least, and their personalities can be a little over the top. But the amazing thing about all of these people is that they are ALL Phil Hendrie himself, casting his voice around seamlessly from one character to another without arousing any indication that he is up to this grand subterfuge of impersonation. What a talent! My favorite of his many characters is the overly sensitive, lawsuit-compulsive Steve Bosell. I'll miss Phil with the programming change. Ditto to a lesser degree for Jim Bohannon. But WBXY also had some folks that, in my opinion, were little more than vile hate-mongers: Michael Savage and Mark Levin. And the FoxNews hack for the Republicans, Sean Hannity, also had his show as well. Maybe these extremist right-wing "stars" will soon get back on in Gainesville on other stations, but for now I feel no loss at their current absence.
As for the new programming, I like it. The driving, pounding music is very energetic and fun to listen to. I think that if one just wanted to get a good exercise workout in their own home, they could just turn on this station at any time of the day or night and just dance to it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment