We've once again come to the time in the year when basketball couch potatoes like me follow the "madness" that is the NCAA basketball tournament. Not to try to sound sexist, but I have focused my attention on the men's tourney and have discovered some teams that I plan to follow. First of all is my hometown college team, the Florida Gators. Then, a traditional favorite: the North Carolina Tarheels. The University of Miami Hurricanes is another one. But if I just went by the players and how much I enjoyed watching a team play, my hands-down favorite would be the Louisville Cardinals, with their incredible point guard Peyton Siva, one of those rare players who not only are committed to working with the coach and his vision for the team, but who also are talented and outstanding both on offense and defense. With him, Louisville could well go the distance and win it all. Fortunately for them, UF, NC, and Miami are placed in other regions and won't have to face them unless they make the Final Four (and the Gators and Hurricanes both stand a reasonable chance of doing so). One of my dream scenarios is a Lousiville/Florida game!
The so-called "first round" began today with two games pitting the very worst, lowest seeded teams against each other. One of them, Liberty, actually sported a losing record at 15-20! I do wish they wouldn't call this the first round when it is just a preliminary round to whittle the bloated 68-team field down to a manageable 64.
The true first round (naturally misnamed the "second" round) begins this Thursday. I can't wait...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment