Friday, March 8, 2013

My Work Hours Drastically Shift to Late Night

Today will be my final day on my afternoon/evening shift at my workplace, as I will be doing "graveyard shift" at the start of next week.  Since the summer of 2003, I have been reporting to work around 2:30-3:30 and walking out around 11 pm to midnight.  Starting this Sunday, though, I'll go back to reporting at 11 pm, which was pretty much the hours of day I worked for 15 out of the first 16 years I've worked here.  I changed my schedule for a few reasons, none of which being because I liked the hours; I've always had some difficulty with my sleeping patterns when working on the late night/early morning shift.  For one, it's difficult to get myself into a regular sleep routine over the course of the day.  For another, when I'm off I almost always revert back to the old "sleep at night" pattern instead of just sticking to the daytime sleeping I'm forced to do the rest of the week.  So I'm a little apprehensive about the hours.  Still, I'll have weekends off, I like the assignment location and duties, I'll have a better, more secure assignment status than the one I now have, and I can still bid (by seniority) on any other job assignment postings that I may prefer to the one I just got. 

Making such a change as the one I just made may see like a bit of risk-taking, but the way I see it is sometimes it's more risky to just stay where you are and do nothing.  Instead I chose proactivity. We'll see how it all goes in the next few weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment