Sunday, January 27, 2013

Goal, Project, Routine, Habit, Event, Review

I am 56 years old, and I have a long way to go.  No, I don't mean by this that I know that I will live to be very old; nobody really knows what the next day, or for that matter, even the next minute will bring.  No, I mean that, for where I am standing right here in my life, there are several areas that could stand improvement, some being in the zone of "dire" improvement.  Some of these areas can be observed by others, while some are internal in nature, not readily discerned.  But all have the same basic features in common when it comes to tackling them and making some lasting improvement. 

First, there is the goal.  Say, for example,  that I want to keep my home and car clean, uncluttered, and organized (this turns out to be one of those "dire", observable needs). I first have to recognize not only that I want to improve in this area, but also be more specific in my aims.  Then comes a plan of action, sure to spotlight the need for routines. But often the first thing to do is an initial project...

Before working to maintain my home area, I first need to undertake the major, time consuming task of overhauling the mess I've built up over the years.  This project is not necessarily something that can always be broken down to daily routines.  Rather, large blocks of time often have to be set to get this work done.  In other areas, it isn't necessarily time that is a factor: obtaining the necessary equipment and tools for the goal is often a prerequisite.  Once that initial project has been completed, though, it is time to institute routines...

Routines are regular actions I take, and for which I record my progress, that are designed to improve the area of my goal.  So when I spend time and effort working on my car, in my yard, or house (and especially that cluttered garage), I time myself and write down time spent, along with the nature of the activity.  Sometimes doing this before I plan out routines gives me a more realistic picture of what I am capable of doing, avoiding making unrealistic targets that set me up for failure.  Once these routines become a part of my unconscious behavior, they become habits...

Developing good habits is the ultimately successful outcome in any self-improvement goal.  Because, after all, I am by definition trying improving my self, and I want the habits to be healthful and part of me.  But along with developed constructive habits goes something that, in my opinion, makes them more permanent: the event...

An event, or test, if you will, exposes the results of a self-improvement program, usually in a more public or social setting.  With keeping my home environment clean and in order, this might well mean having people over for company...even regular group meetings for various purposes.  In running, the event would be a public race.  Writing could be culminated in seeking publishing for money (this blog is automatically published and counts to me as more of a routine). Each area can have its own type of event that publicly demonstrates what has been accomplished.

Finally, there is one other stage to self-improvement, one that I think often gets neglected: review.  Looking back through my records (and memory) at my goals and their fulfillment (or lack thereof) can shed light on what is really important and what isn't.  It can lead the way to new goals or a redirection of old ones.  The problem with reviewing is that too often, no time is set aside to perform this necessary function. 

The goal, project, routine, habit, event, and review are each important elements within a program of self-improvement.  Taken together, they greatly enhance the prospects for success and personal empowerment...