Having already gone off against the exasperating still-undecided voter after all of this time they could have used to research and get to know the candidates in this 2012 presidential race, I got a taste of my own medicine a couple of days ago when I questioned my own voting decision. The final debate between Obama and Romney had taken place the night before and I was surfing my radio in the early afternoon before work, searching desperately for SOMETHING decent to listen to. Finally, I landed on 94.7, which was the frequency of a local low-powered station that offered alternative talk radio programming at that time of day. In progress was a replay of that final debate, with one alteration. The show had two candidates from minor parties (a third, the Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson had declined) who answered each question after the president and etch-a-sketcher's responses. They were Jill Stein of the Green Party and Rocky Anderson of the newly-formed Justice Party. The "debate" wasn't between these two; they could have been each other's running mates for the mutual agreement in their responses, making me wonder why those forming the Justice Party didn't just join and strengthen the longer-established Green Party.
The upshot of it all was that I found myself wholeheartedly agreeing with the alternative candidates, dismayed that they will amass between them probably less than one per cent of the vote. They both opposed the Affordable Care Act for pandering to insurance companies and overburdening private businesses, instead of the single payer system that I had long preferred. They both decried the excessive militarism of our foreign policy, noting that the difference between the major two political parties was just a matter of degree. I liked Stein more and thought that maybe I should just switch my vote over to her. But then I thought that by doing so, I would be aiding Romney in this close swing state I'm living in. Noam Chomsky decided to endorse the Green Party candidate, but then again Michael Moore and Howard Dean are enthusiastically supporting Obama's reelection. So, for a little while I have been experiencing a little of this undecided fog myself, but in the end I think I'll just stick with my original intention.
I liked the ideas I heard on that debate, not by the main speakers but rather by the candidates who were denied nationwide exposure. Maybe, though, a presidential election isn't the forum for me to express myself by voting for a minor party. Instead, I can look at how the tea party movement formed and strengthened as a more ideological branch of the Republican Party during the electoral off-season (not that I would have any interest in pursuing their agenda). Perhaps instead, this is the better way for me to make my beliefs known...