Since I had last Monday night off from work, I happened to have my TV on ESPN, which was broadcasting the NFL Monday Night Football game between the Green Bay Packers and the Seattle Seahawks. This was a pretty closely fought contest between two teams that I care little about. But it was close, and that made the outcome somewhat interesting. As well as the fact that the replacement referees, whom the league installed while carrying out a drawn-out labor dispute with the "regulars", were utterly incompetent throughout the game. To me, that was entertainment in itself, much like watching the antics of the Three Stooges. But I, like most other viewers, was completely unprepared for the game's closing play, a Green Bay pass interception of a desperation last-second Seattle pass that one official ruled as a touchdown, one ruled an interception, and the third in the vicinity just kept a distance from. Ultimately the offensive receiver, who committed what was to me the most flagrant offensive pass interference penalty I have ever seen, was awarded the reception although the Packer defender was clearly in possession. So Seattle was awarded the controversial touchdown and, as it turned out, the game as well, 14-12.
After the game, the media pundits were all abuzz about how bad this officiating was. I agree. But I remember a game back in 1980 between my Miami Dolphins and New Orleans and a similar scenario, this time with the regular officiating staff performing the duties. The Dolphins were ahead, I believe, 21-16, but the Saints mounted a furious last-minute comeback. On the game's final play, the Saints quarterback heaved a clear touchdown pass to win the game, touching off celebrations on that side of the field. But wait, there was a penalty flag and a New Orleans player was called for offensive pass interference. Replay after replay of this play was shown on TV, with no hint whatsoever of the existence of this apparently phantom penalty. The game thus ended with a dubious Dolphin win.
So this sort of thing happens and is unavoidable. Still, the replacement officials seem to be totally incapable of the controlling the game and are increasingly coming under the open scorn of both coaches and players alike on the field. Not that I necessarily want them gone: this IS awfully entertaining, in a slapstick sort of way!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment