Thursday, August 9, 2012

Musical Ripoff Hypocrisies, Part 2

The spring of 1970 was almost magical to me, at least in a musical sense.  There were many great songs that came out at this time, one among them being the first hit that the Supremes recorded without Diana Ross, who had left the group to pursue what would be a very successful solo career.  Still, somehow Up the Ladder to the Roof sounded like Diana was there anyway, and it was a very beautiful song.  I even bought it as a single (and still have it).  Yes, it was one of my favorites for that year, when I was still in my early teens.

Fast forward to 1983.  MTV had been going on for nearly two years and cable TV mogul Ted Turner decided to present a similar format on weekend late nights on his TBS channel.  Having no MTV at the time, I greatly enjoyed watching the succession of videos (which were actually interesting back in those days).  One video was of a new, upcoming musician named Prince: Little Red Corvette.  This song instantly came across to me as a ripoff of Up the Ladder to the Roof, with the title lines sung in each song to almost the exact same melody.  I would even go as far as saying that I thought the copying was blatant.  Apparently, though, no one else did, and Prince went on to become the superstar that he is known for.  So far, so good...

Now we come to the latest LP released by Sufjan Stevens, titled The Age of Adz.  One track on it (in fact, one of my favorites) was a plaintive song called I Walked.  It sounded like an "original" to me, but later a reviewer of this album in Spin magazine wrote that he felt that Stevens had lifted part of Prince's Little Red Corvette.  I suppose I could discern some similarities in the instrumental background introducing both songs, but nothing more.  Still, that reviewer is entitled to his own opinion, and I never heard of Prince complaining.  And why should he, in our current age of sampling and wholesale copying?  What's been going on recently makes George Harrison's supposed infringement against the writers of He's So Fine with his wonderful My Sweet Lord look like an extreme example of nitpicking...

No comments:

Post a Comment