Monday, July 30, 2012

U.S. Star Gymnast Out of All-Around Olympic Competition

I was following some of the Olympic Games coverage when I came across the sad story of the favorite American women's gymnast to get an all-around gold medal, being eliminated in the qualifying round.  It wasn't because her score in itself disqualified her from advancing: it was the third-highest and would have been enough to advance.  But there is a rule now in place that each country can send only two gymnasts on to the final all-around competition, and the other top two qualifiers were both from the United States.  So hence elimination and the ensuing sadness.  I feel for sympathy for her, too.  However...

She did have the opportunity to qualify with a higher score, but was outperformed by her own teammates.  Also, everyone, including her, knew of this "limit of two" rule.  So I wonder...was it a presumption that the other competing members of the team were just supposed to forfeit their dreams of medals and glory because of her presence?  And besides, she has other events to compete in, both on the team level and as an individual going for medals in specific events.  She was just eliminated from trying for the all-around title, but can still win many medals if she excels in her remaining events.

I don't understand the shocked dismay at the turn of events here.  I understand how, in these elimination rounds, the losers are going to be disappointed: that's sad, but it is the intrinsically designed nature of the sport! Commiserate with those who don't advance, sure.  But then  focus on congratulating and giving coverage to the two gymnasts who will compete for the all-around title.  This is their moment in the spotlight, and I am tired of the sports press depriving lesser known athletes of coverage in favor of more well-known, but often underachieving sports stars.  I've been seeing the same in these games with that superstar American "Subway" swimmer as well, and it bugs me to no end...

No comments:

Post a Comment