Monday, June 11, 2012

They're Here...

Well, I suppose I knew it wouldn't last...Yesterday evening I sat out on my front porch to relax and enjoy the time of day.  I didn't mind the heat or even the humidity around me too much.  There was, however, a new feature to my experience, which was inevitable but sad: the mosquitoes have arrived.  Quickly noticing that I was being eaten alive, I made my way back indoors, sighing...

We probably won't be rid of the little buggers until cold descends on us sometime in fall (should it even happen by then).  That's one of the down sides to where I live: Gainesville lies just north of a vast wetlands basin called Paynes Prairie (perhaps you've heard of it: a terrible chain of accidents involving several vehicles occurred a few weeks ago out there on Interstate-75).  The Prairie, the area of which is large enough to swallow up Gainesville,  is a natural breeding ground for mosquitoes, and if the wind happens to be blowing our way, well, here comes trouble...

Still, I can enjoy the outdoors if I am just a little cautious.  I can use mosquito repellent, to be sure.  But I can also pick and choose when I am outdoors.  No, I won't let them drive me indoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment