Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ray Bradbury Passes On

Yesterday Ray Bradbury, one of my all-time favorite writers, died at age 91 after an undisclosed lengthy illness.  Not only did I read many of his hundreds of short stories (possessing three collection volumes), but also I enjoyed his novels such as Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and Dandelion Wine.  The latter had a great influence on me and put a fitting perspective on childhood and the passage of time (and the passing of people).  There was the sad chapter on the passing of the protagonist's grandmother, a gentle spirit who had an uncanny, mystical ability to cook the most tasty, elaborate feasts without ever measuring anything out or referring to any recipe.  She would go entirely by her own instincts.  I feel that this was the very same way that Bradbury wrote, and it showed in his magical, beautiful prose.

There will never be another Ray Bradbury, although there are many who have been deeply influenced by him.  Among them is Stephen King, another favorite of mine, and who quickly commented following Bradbury's passing how important and influential he had been to him.  Now excuse me while I go excavate one of my Ray Bradbury short story collections...

No comments:

Post a Comment