Thursday, May 10, 2012

Paul-is-Dead Movie

While searching my sadly inadequate streaming Netflix to try to find some interesting movies to watch, I came across one with an intriguing title: Paul McCartney is Really Dead: The Last Testament of George Harrison. So I selected it to see what it was about.  This film presented itself as a documentary that purported to prove the conspiratorial urban legend that the Beatles great musician Paul McCartney was killed in a car crash on November 9, 1966.  According to this "theory", his death was covered up, with the collusion of the remaining three Beatles (as well as British intelligence), and a new "Paul" (nicknamed Faul for "fake" Paul) replaced him after extensive plastic surgery.  The movie covered this and made the standard claims, as well as a few that I find hilarious.

For example, hints about Paul's death were supposedly surreptitiously put by the surviving band members into the albums Rubber Soul, Yesterday and Today, and Revolver.  One problem with this, though: all three albums were released BEFORE Paul's alleged death!  You can look up the facts yourself; for me, it's a bit more personal as my parents, ardent Beatles fans during this period, quickly bought each album as it released.  I was there: the sequence of events didn't work with the narrative I was hearing from my TV.  So the movie's entire plausibility, predicated on a couple of audio tapes that the late Beatles lead guitarist George Harrison supposedly made in the hospital right after he was severely stabbed at his home in 1999, comes crashing down with this monumental boner.

As for conspiracy theories and urban legends, I am a sucker for them because they are fun to follow, like the idea that the Apollo moon landings were a hoax, JFK's assassination was a sinister conspiracy involving disparate elements, or ... Paul McCartney's covered-up death in 1966.  But although I tend to be squarely on the skeptical side of these notions, I still expect those presenting their arguments for them to at least make some attempt to be correct with basic circumstantial facts.  And the fact here is that the makers of Paul McCartney is Really Dead: The Last Testament of George Harrison totally screwed up...

...unless, of course, this was DELIBERATE misinformation designed to discredit the "Paul-is-dead" believers.  And thus protecting the real "secret", which is that he really did die!  Oh, the fun I can have with this...

No comments:

Post a Comment