Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Running Evolving into Consistent Routine

Today I ran 2 miles, extending my streak of running each day to twelve, starting with May 1st.  It was also the shortest distance I've run during this time, with the previous range being from 3.25 to 5 miles a day.  I believe that this is significant in that I am evolving with my running into a stable daily routine involving pretty much the same general distance.  In the past I had tended to try longer runs, interspersed with shorter ones or even days of no running.

This leveling out of my running distances may also be due to two other causes.  One, the year is progressing toward the hotter months of late spring and then summer.  There's no point in me trying to prove anything to myself by struggling through 7-10 mile runs in the 90-degree weather dominating my area (northern Florida) at this time.  But I can still rack up significant monthly mileage if I stick to a reasonable distance, done on a consistent daily basis.  Two, I am trying to manage my time more wisely. There are several other areas in my life that are time-consuming, and I don't want to spend too much of my so-called "free" time running, preparing for it, and recovering from it.  So the watchword for now is consistency, and that seems to be working just fine.

Will I ever go back to longer distances? Who knows, but my crystal ball doesn't go that far into the future.  Besides, what's the point in exerting too much time and effort thinking ahead that far when there is enough on my plate in the present and the immediate future...

No comments:

Post a Comment