I have finished reading Stephen King's latest novel, his time travel story 11/22/63. From the title (and that you now know it involves time travel), you can probably surmise its overriding theme: an attempt to go back in time to prevent the assassination of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy on that date. Having already witnessed an early Twilight Zone episode with the protagonist "stepping back" to try and avert Lincoln's assassination, I was "taken aback" myself, in a manner of speaking, the other day when, while channel surfing I landed upon a "later" Twilight Zone episode with its hero thwarting JFK's murder itself. So the formula is definitely an old one...
I liked Stephen King's version of this theme because, in his typical fashion that I have come to appreciate, it has great character development, coupled with a greatly detailed exposition of those times (1958-1963) in which the time travel took place. And it resonates with me personally, because although I was only a little kid at the time, I remember what that era was like as well.
Every (good) author of time travel tales brings something unique and special to the genre. King, this age's master storyteller, naturally does as well with his revelation that the past is obdurate: it does not want to change and will act to hinder any change-minded travelers by setting up obstacles in their path. Throughout the story this theme takes on a sinister nature, with the past being the enemy of protagonist Jake Epping and causing all sorts of problems (and even tragedies). But at the end...well, I guess you may already know, the end of Stephen King stories can pack a pretty big punch, and regarding the "obdurate past", it's a pretty heavy blow, as well as a perspective-shifter...
One of my all-time favorite time-travel movies is Groundhog Day, a non science-fiction comedy that, at least to me, has the Hindu-like theme of repeating one's living existence until perfection is attained (King touches upon this as well in his Dark Tower series). In both Groundhog Day and 11/22/63, there is a feature I term the "reset button" in which whatever the time traveler just changed in the past gets wiped clean and the past goes back to being just as it was before the "meddling". When I learned of the "reset" in 11/22/63, I felt that this would be a device used somehow to end the story. Was I right? Ego-inflating or not, I'm not saying. After all, I want YOU to read Mr. King's excellent story and throw some feedback my way...
Sunday, April 1, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment