Friday, April 6, 2012

2012 MLB Season Commences

The Major League Baseball season has begun again, with all 30 teams entertaining high hopes for 2012.  I am looking forward to watching a few games, although I don't plan to be fanatical about it.  As for the teams I plan to follow, this year I'm going to play it cool and just get to know those teams whose games are broadcast more often.  Here in Florida, a channel broadcasts Tampa Bay Rays and Miami Marlins games. Sometimes I can pick up a game on the MLB channel.  And ESPN tends to spotlight games featuring teams in major markets like New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.  And, oh yeah, there's that WGN/Chicago channel, which will broadcast a few Cubs and White Sox games.

Above and beyond watching baseball to root for "my" team of the moment, I enjoy just sitting there watching the interaction between pitcher, hitter, and catcher, regardless who is playing or what the score is.  And keeping track of the unfolding situation within each half-inning as hitters reach base (or not) and managers try to figure how to score runs (or prevent them) can be pretty interesting as well.

Here are some things in baseball I'm NOT interested in: Fantasy Baseball, which players are making the most money, behind-the scenes talk about players and managers, and excessive attention to obscure statistics (e.g. Batter "X" is hitting .286 with a runner on second with one out in road games against teams in the same division).

Oh, one other thing I like about baseball: with the high-definition picture quality available today, I can not only enjoy watching the game: I can also enjoy watching the people in the stands watching the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment