A little belated congratulations are in order for the New York Giants, my favorites in this year's NFL playoffs, who beat the New England Patriots 21-17 in this year's Super Bowl. Although New York played well, I have to give a tip of my imaginary hat to the Patriot receivers (three of them) who dropped perfect Tom Brady passes late in the game to help stall crucial drives of theirs. Why couldn't they have done that in the two games New England played against the Miami Dolphins earlier this season, dang it...
I was a little taken aback at all of the kisses the victorious Giants players were planting on the Super Bowl trophy as they passed it around among themselves on the field following the game, just before handing it off to the game's MVP, star quarterback Eli Manning. Maybe I was imagining it, but Eli seemed just a little bit hesitant about handling the slobber-coated trophy (I would, too) before passing it on to higher-ups in the team organization.
Now if the pattern holds, the Giants will have a great regular season next year and then make an early exit in the playoffs, like Green Bay did this year after winning the Super Bowl following an unspectacular regular season in the previous year. As far as I am concerned, that's O.K.: you can't win 'em every year...
Now let's see how the Dolphins do with their new coach. And whether he can make a difference that leads them into the playoffs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment