At the close of his valiant and pressure-packed attempt at the national title for the 2009 college football season, University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer suddenly announced his resignation, for undisclosed medical reasons. A little while later, he changed his mind: he would return for 2010, but allow an assistant coach to temporarily take over the head coaching role until the fall. But still, a few months later, Meyer couldn't hold himself back and once again took charge of spring practice. The following 2010 season, though, saw him play a much more passive, seemingly detached role on the sidelines; the Gators also suffered through a lackluster, disappointing season. Coincidence? Maybe, but Meyer resigned for good at the end of that season.
Now, after a year away from coaching, and working as a very good and respected ESPN football analyst, Urban Meyer is once again diving head first into a challenging, high-stress coaching position, this time taking over scandal-riddled Ohio State. Meyer is from Ohio and once served as an assistant coach at Ohio State. Still, I have heard some unhappy rumblings around me here in Gainesville from UF fans who think that he somehow betrayed the Gators by going over to Ohio State. I beg to disagree, but am still a little worried, although not at all surprised, by our esteemed former coach's decision.
I don't have the slightest doubt that Urban Meyer suffered some sort of serious medical condition aggravated by his Type-A "alpha male" personality that seeks out stressful situations as challenges to be conquered. The fact that he first resigned late in 2009, then decided to came back to coach in the fall, and then couldn't wait to do that before jumping back into the fray during the spring, shows me that he is suffering from an inner conflict between his competitive nature and his better health interests. And now he has done it again: since the Florida job is taken by Will Muschamp, Meyer can't go back. Besides, he saw the unexpected opportunity to coach in his old place in his old home state and took it. When Meyer finally did resign from Florida for good, there was no hint that the Ohio State program was running headlong into a scandal and that its longtime coach would be terminated. So this is no "Nick Saban" scenario: unlike Saban, who deserted one team after only two years (without accomplishing anything for it and leaving it in complete disarray) for another the next year, Meyer gave the University of Florida two national championships and a close run for a third while serving for six years. His departure was for health reasons, which is why I'm a little worried about his new job.
The fans in Columbus are just as rabid for their Buckeyes as is the Gator "Nation" for their team. Urban Meyer is once again jumping into a situation with this Ohio State job, this time for six years, that may well tear him apart. Maybe I'm wrong and that the pressure won't get to him and destroy his health. I hope so, but for his sake (and that of his family) I wish he had stayed in broadcasting. As far as the University of Florida is concerned, though, he has absolutely nothing to apologize for.
I wish Urban Meyer the best in his new job and his life. Not that I intend to start rooting for Ohio State anytime soon..
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment