Wednesday, November 9, 2011

GOP Needs to Wise Up About Cain, Romney

Look, I'll admit it: at this time in my life, I tend to vote more in line with Democrats than Republicans. And I think that many of President Obama's difficulties so far are due in large part to the absolute and even hateful opposition of the Republicans as a bloc in Congress. When Ronald Reagan was president, he was able to engage in some give and take with enough Democrats to get a modified version of his agenda passed, and in a timely manner. But with Obama, the Senate minority Republicans, under reactionary leader Mitch McConnell, have openly expressed that their primary objective is to make our president a failure, with the nation's interests lagging behind in their priorities.

Having said that, just so you know where I'm coming from, I have to admit to some disappointment with the motley group of GOP presidential candidates so far, above and beyond my ideological differences. The latest letdown has been with current frontrunner Herbert Cain, who is suffering allegations that he sexually harassed women a few years ago. About these allegations, I suspend judgement. No, what bothers me about Cain is his extreme arrogance with the press, ordering them in fact to only address topics that he wants to discuss. The way he argues in such a nasty, mean manner with reporters even scares me a bit. Do you want someone like that leading our country?

The only candidate I see showing any hint of presidential stature is Mitt Romney. Not that I intend to support him should the Republican Party finally wise up and nominate the one candidate in the field with a real chance to beat Obama. It is just that the others in the field (well-meaning-but-incompetent-campaigner Jon Huntsman excepted) seem to be climbing over each other to spread messages of intolerance, if not bigotry, while collectively bending over backwards to promote a class warfare situation benefiting the very rich over the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment