Thursday, October 20, 2011

The "Who Cares" World Series

I heard that there was an exciting baseball game going on last night. And it was this year's World Series opener, no less. The score was tied 2-2 going into the bottom of the 6th inning when the home team took a 3-2 lead and then held it with near-flawless relief pitching. Let's see, did I leave anything out? ....Oh yeah, the teams were the Texas Rangers and the St. Louis Cardinals. Incidentally, it was the latter who won the game, if anyone cares (I sure don't).

I couldn't think of a duller scenario for a World Series than these two teams. Especially when the regular season clearly demonstrated that the best teams were the Philadelphia Phillies and the New York Yankees. But what we got instead is of minuscule interest, unless of course you happen to either live in or be from the St. Louis or Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I do have one co-worker who is a Cardinals fan, so I guess I'm happy for him.

I predict lousy TV ratings for this series as well as a general descent of collective amnesia upon the public as to who the eventual winner is, as they look back on the 2011 season from the future. In years to come, this may only be memorable as the ultimate "who cares" World Series. Now please excuse me while I stew in my boredom...

No comments:

Post a Comment