Today I had a breakthrough with my running, easily covering 8.05 miles in 1:13:28. Two factors contributed to my success: (1) I had eaten a lot the previous day, including a big pasta entree at Olive Garden, and (2) the humidity (as well as the temperature) was low. At the start of the run, it was 70 degrees with 41% humidity. By the end, the temperature had climbed to 79 but the humidity had plummeted to a heavenly 26%.
At the start of my run (which I accomplished as usual going up and down my neighborhood streets), I felt stiff and tired. If I had gone on my feelings alone then, I wouldn't have tried to reach 8 miles. But I knew I had energy reserves and, for once, the weather was actually on my side. So I kept plugging away. I never tired, and my running became smoother as I stretched my distance. By the end, I knew I could go further, but decided to give myself another chance at a (hopefully soon) future date to accomplish that on another run. During my post-workout recovery, due to the relative dryness of the air, I wasn't even sweating at all. Quite a contrast from that earlier near-disastrous 4-mile run I stumbled through a couple of months ago in Hollywood, Florida, when the temperature was comparable but the humidity was an unbearable 80-plus percent...
Throughout today's run, I listened exclusively to the alternative group Gorillaz in shuffle mode on my MP3. This act's sound worked perfectly with my running to make it a truly pleasurable experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment