--The University of Florida team has impressed me so far as one with much promise this season. Their offense may well be like that unstoppable Alabama attack a couple of years ago: there are too many explosive, talented runners and receivers for the defense to key on. Admittedly, Florida's first two opponents this year have been smaller schools. But I saw a versatility to the offense that simply wasn't there last year. Whether the offensive line will fair well against more serious opposition will be the key to their success this season. But right now at least, the Gator running attack is back! They play their Southeastern Conference season opener at home against Tennessee next Saturday. I may well be the only Florida fan in the world who roots for Tennessee when they're not playing us...
--I thought it was highly inappropriate for a major television broadcast network, NBC, to make an exclusive deal with one college, namely Notre Dame, to broadcast their games this year. So I automatically began to root against them, naturally. In the first game last week against South Florida, the Fighting Irish fumbled the ball repeatedly, choking in a 23-20 loss. Then, a couple of days ago they repeated their choke act, giving up a 24-7 lead against Michigan in the fourth quarter to lose 35-31. And once again they fumbled the ball away several times, coughing it up 9 times in their first two games, often as they were about to score points on their opponents...
--I am having more than the usual difficulty generating any enthusiasm for the NFL pro football season this time around. I think it may be in large part due to that long-term shutdown and threatened cancellation of this season due to management/labor contractual squabbles. I'm sure I'll get on board with the season eventually. Maybe I should just stick with following the Dolphins and ignore the rest of the league...
--Speaking of Miami, I was impressed by the way quarterback Chad Henne played in the game they just finished earlier this evening against New England. Unfortunately, now that the Dolphin offense seems to be clicking well (they had serious issues last year), their defense apparently decided to take the night off. For although Henne racked up more than 400 yards in passing, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady picked apart Miami's defense for more than 500 yards as they beat "my" team 38-24...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment