R.E.M., one of my all-time favorite rock bands, has finally announced its retirement after three decades in the business. Frontman and lyricist Michael Stipe, lead guitarist Peter Buck, bassist Mike Mills, and drummer Bill Berry (through 1997) comprised this alternative group originating from Athens, Georgia. Although they had their first release, an EP titled Chronic Town, in 1982, it took me a few years to catch on to how high-quality this act was. Of course this is partially due to their improvement over the years, but also because they received very little radio air play until the late 1980's. But by the 1990's R.E.M. had become my favorite musical act of that decade. The first R.E.M. tune I ever heard was their 1984 classic South Central Rain (I'm Sorry), courtesy of MTV and featuring lead singer Stipe actually sporting some hair on his head...
After the turn of the century, R.E.M.'s music became generally slower and even moodier than it already had a tendency to be. They tried to move back to their older sound with their last two albums, and I appreciate their efforts. But by that time I had moved on as well with my own musical tastes.
I wish the members of this talented band well with their "retirement", which I put in quotations because I can't imagine them ever stopping with their highly-talented passion for music. I see them individually going off with their own projects and collaborating with others as well. Plus, especially with Michael Stipe, they tend to be active with social issues.
For a change, instead of listing my favorite songs of R.E.M., I'm listing their studio album releases, from top to bottom as I liked them, with a little commentary on the side. Here goes...
1 Monster [1994] ...by far my favorite, their brief flirtation with hard rock
2 Automatic for the People [1992]...their "Sgt. Pepper", produced by John Paul Jones
3 Out of Time [1991]...the album that made R.E.M. a mainstream super-group (for a while)
4 Reveal [2001]...their final great album (to me)
5 Green [1989]...the album that made me notice them
6 Murmur [1983]...full of wonderful songs, should have been a bigger hit
7 Up [1998]...great album with the wrong singles releases
8 New Adventures in Hi-Fi [1996]...disappointing as follow-up to Monster, but E-Bow the Letter a great track
9 Chronic Town (EP) [1982]...every track powerful and memorable
10 Document [1988]...beginning of shift away from their early folk-rock
11 Collapse Into Now [2011]...I'm still in judgment over this one, mostly good songs
12 Accelerate [2008]...gutsy effort to regain their mojo after previous album
13 Life's Rich Pageant [1986]...#13-15 were their mid-80's folk-rock albums, gradually building up their following
14 Fables of the Reconstruction [1985]
15 Reckoning [1984]
16 Around the Sun [2004] ...by far my least favorite, a tribute to dreariness
Oh, here is a link to another article I wrote about R.E.M. three years ago, listing my favorite songs of theirs. Interestingly, that list still holds up pretty well for me...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment