Sunday, September 25, 2011

Perry Favorably Surprises Me

With the recently held Florida debate between the Republican presidential wannabes, I was hoping that front-running teabag sympathizer Rick Perry would finally get his comeuppance as the others desperately ganged up on him. Well, if that was my original wish, I think it was fulfilled. Kind of...

It seems that, as governor of Texas, Perry allowed children of illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition at Texas public colleges. This infuriated others at the debate, with the charge that this was unfair because "real" Americans from other states had to still pay the much higher out-of-state rates. And the crowd, a general reverse barometer to the validity of anything spoken at these GOP events, loudly agreed with these criticisms. I didn't, and actually came, albeit slightly, to a grudging appreciation of the Texas governor.

People living in Texas, be they "legal" or not, are also immersed in that state's tax structure, which thoroughly permeates its economy. If you live there then you WILL be paying state taxes, like it or not. And the undocumented who live there are no exception. That their children should be thus treated as in-state residents is therefore reasonable to me: besides, they really ARE in-state residents! If out-of-state red, white & true-blue, card-carrying Americans want Texas rates, I have a suggestion for them: MOVE TO TEXAS!

Rick Perry responded to the criticisms that other candidates leveled at him on this issue without retreating one step. He said that he did what he did because he felt it was the right thing to do... and he still does.

Maybe I should take back that remark I had made a few weeks ago about Perry being a "malevolent clown". It seems the man has a heart after all. I just wish he would show it more often...

No comments:

Post a Comment