I noticed something unsettling during my visit to Lexington, Kentucky a couple of weeks ago. There was a Meijers superstore conveniently located right across the street from our hotel, so we decided to go there and stock up on our groceries for the stay. When we finished loading up our cart and walked up to the check-out lines, we noticed that most of them were self-service, with no cashier. The customers in these lines simply did pretty much what the paid cashiers do, which was to scan their own items and pass them down the conveyor belt for bagging (which more often than not the customer also had to do). There was a menu on the screen for items without scanning codes such as produce or bakery items, instructing the customers to key in special codes or click on designated places on the screen. Once I learned the system, it was much easier and faster for me to "self-scan". The few lines remaining with human cashiers were always hopelessly long and I learned to avoid them, which was probably the intent of the corporate bigwigs who also probably want to eventually eliminate the remaining cashier jobs as well.
I discussed this phenomenon with others and found out that this do-it-yourself scanning is pervasive in Lexington stores. I know that it is going on in Gainesville as well, but on a much smaller scale in places like Home Depot, which offers a self-service checkout option. But so far Publix, the predominant grocer in north Florida, has yet to institute it, preferring instead the friendly interaction of cashiers and baggers with the paying customers. But I suppose it is only a matter of time before "self-scanning" takes over Gainesville retail stores too, much in the same way that self-service gasoline pumping replaced the (sometimes) friendly service station attendant in the early 1970's.
Although I liked the speed at which I could go through the check-out line while scanning my purchases myself, I also noticed on a couple of trips to Meijers that I completed the entire process through the store without talking to anyone. That's just a little too creepy to somebody like me who is used to being doted upon by the fine employees at Publix.
I am sure that Meijers could have chosen to employ more cashiers and open up more lines, which would have made them more attractive for me to go through. But they might argue that this would force them to raise their prices. Besides, they were apparently just following the general practice of pushing self-service checkout that seems to rule this part of the country. But I decry this trend that seems to involve saving expense by eliminating jobs that REAL PEOPLE had made a living from. This sort of thing, though, is going on everywhere and has been for a long, long time actually. I remember my mother talking to me about her job back in the 1940's as an operator for the phone company, a very common job back then. Find me an operator now, but also tell me how bringing them back would improve the telephone industry or my service. And the US Postal Service has gone through stages over the years with its mail processing, going from manual sorting to mechanized sorting to barcode and optical character reading by scanning. This has drastically reduced the number of people needed to sort the nation's mail.
I read or heard somewhere that good jobs in America are plentiful but aren't being filled because the people themselves are either unqualified or incapable of filling them. Personally, I think that there is a bigger underlying problem involving the relative lack of employment these days: the glaring need to reinstitute the concept of apprenticing in all of the fields and businesses employing skilled labor and adapt it to the modern world. Because unskilled labor seems to be going, going, gone and, frankly, colleges don't seem to be adequately filling the need for training skilled labor to meet the marketplace's demands...
Friday, August 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment