The other day I was astonished to find a high-quality Russian language magazine on sale at my local Barnes & Noble bookstore. Titled Сноб, it is full of interesting articles spanning the breadth of topics covering the human condition. Skimming the pages from article to article, I found myself partially understanding the material but was very, very frustrated at the many words that stumped me.
Seeing how readily entire pages of text can be almost instantly translated (sometimes admittedly with severe imperfections) on my computer screen, I thought wouldn't it be great to have a small scanning device that would highlight a word or phrase in a foreign language (like the Russian I was reading) and deliver a rough translation? That would really speed up my language learning and free me from my computer screen as well!
It isn't that difficult, at least for me, to handle the grammatical details of a different language. With Russian, I have pretty much cleared that hurdle. But learning and retaining its thousands of words can be daunting. I can learn word lists (which I do), but encountering new words in the more meaningful context of a sentence in an article or story is much more desirable. So if I can't procure one of those possibly-nonexistent pocket/scanner/translators, I'll have to improvise with the old fashioned pocket dictionaries and all of that time-consuming page-turning.
As far as Russian is concerned, you can't beat the Romanov's pocket dictionary that translates words between Russian and English both ways. Not only does it provide an extensive vocabulary, but it also presents grammatical constructions in a comprehensive, detailed manner that I haven't seen even in a larger dictionary. This is important for a language like Russian which, like Latin, relies heavily on verb conjugations and vowel and adjective declensions to convey meaning in a sentence. Unfortunately, this Romanov's dictionary may be out of print as I haven't seen it in any bookstores in years. Fortunately, I still have on old copy at home (and possibly even a second one up in the attic). But it would be nice to have a fresh Romanov's...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
http://www.amazon.com/Penpower-WorldPenScan-Intelligent-Handheld-translator/dp/B003HOKDZI
ReplyDelete