It looks as if major professional sports in America has become so financially successful, so engorged on money, that it has collectively decided to implode on itself. The National Football League appears to be headed straight toward the cancellation of the 2011 season because of unrestrained greed on the part of both management and labor. And the National Basketball Association appears willing and ready to follow suit with a lockout already in place heralding its own impending season cancellation a few months later. NBA stars are already signing up to play for different countries' teams overseas in anticipation of this. The football players might have liked to be able to do the same, but...well, they just don't PLAY American football overseas!
I can see how no pro pigskins or hoops might bother a lot of people, and not just those who like to gamble on sports or play the fantasy versions. The franchises whose teams won't be playing won't also be paying supporting workers. Neither will those working in the stadiums and arenas have their usual seasonal employment. And surrounding local businesses will suffer greatly as well, especially the hotel and restaurant industry. But me, well...
I like to watch pro football and basketball if it happens to be on TV and I have nothing else to do. But I don't spend very much time or effort thinking about these sports on other days of the week. Besides, I'll still have college football and basketball to focus on should I suddenly feel a spectator sports obsession overtake me. As for those who are obsessed with following the pro leagues, they probably need to "get a life" anyway, an opportunity that the impending season cancellations just might provide for them.
No, I'm quite all right with there being no NFL or NBA seasons this year. Or next year. Or the following year. Etcetera. Hey, NFL and NBA: cancel yourselves forever, see if I care!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment