Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Is My Injury Recovery Complete?

On March 22, I began to experience some familiar pain from my January IT band injury (in my right leg just below the knee) while on a neighborhood run, around the four-mile mark. I prudently laid off running for a weak to aid in my healing. Since then...

Starting on March 29 and including today, I have run on ten different occasions and amassed 57.5 miles. No pain! Today was a breakthrough of sorts: I ran on the road around my neighborhood for 8.15 miles (time 1:15:12) and only ended my run because, frankly, I had fallen out of shape due to resting from the injury and was too tired to continue (and it was hot and humid to boot). But no pain in the injured area.

So have I fully recovered? I might as well act as if I have, since it will probably take some time to gradually build my distance back up to the level I had previously enjoyed. But with several recent runs of over seven miles, I am already in the lower mileage level of the area I want to get to! I would just like to add a longer run, around 13-14 miles, once a week, and I will be content with running again.

Yes, I don't think it will be long before I am participating again in various community road races. Unfortunately, with the oncoming hot summer, they may be few and far between.

No comments:

Post a Comment