Sunday, April 17, 2011

Friends of the Library Sale: My Visit

Today Melissa and I went to the semi-annual Alachua County Friends of the Library book sale. This is a major event in Gainesville, and it draws many people to a warehouse located just north of downtown, a warehouse loaded to the hilt with books of (almost) all types. There are also many used CDs, audio cassettes, vinyl records, DVDs, and VHS tapes. The sale began yesterday and will conclude on Wednesday. Melissa bought a few books and I bought a couple (an elementary school Chinese story reader (in Chinese) and a book explaining swimming techniques and strategies). Since more books are added to the shelves each day, it might behoove me to pay a return visit there Tuesday or Wednesday.

The crowds there didn't bother me at all, but then again I wasn't really passionately searching for specific titles. So if there was an area that was overcongested, I just went to the next that wasn't. Besides, looking for specific books can be a little nerve-wracking even without having to deal with others competing for browsing space: other than areas specified by genre, books are shelved in no particular order, so one must look at each book to cover an area. That's too much of a hassle for me.

As I walked through the warehouse, I wondered how many of the out-of-print books on sale there would ever make it to electronic media like Kindle or The Nook. And would the prices of these books be such that the same folks who visit this massive used book sale be willing to buy them?

No comments:

Post a Comment