Saturday, January 15, 2011

Damned Fool Achieves Marathon Milestone

The great comedic actor W.C Fields reportedly once said, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use in being a damned fool about it." I must be a damned fool because today I finally completed a marathon during my training. Unlike with the previous two long 20-mile runs, I encountered no "wall" beyond which I had no energy to continue. Instead, the night before I ate an entire large pizza and then continued eating at home after work. In running jargon, this is called "carb-loading". Often, before different marathon races, the organizers will offer a spaghetti or pancake dinner for the entrants. This carbohydrate loading makes a huge difference, something that I will never again forget to do.

My actual run today was 26.6 miles, well beyond the marathon length (26.2 miles). My finishing time was 4:23:01. At the beginning of my workout, the temperature was 62 with a 35% humidity. At its close, the numbers were 61 degrees and 42%. There was no precipitation and the sky gradually became overcast as the run progressed. An occasionally strong wind blew from the NNE.

My recovery from my training marathon couldn't be better. I feel energetic, my pulse is slowing, and I am only having to deal with some expected soreness in my legs.

Now I just need to sign up for the Ocala Marathon. The upcoming runs I do this week will be around 7-13 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment