Sunday, October 31, 2010

Last-Minute Election Nonsense

I have long ago decided which candidates I will be voting for on November 2, as well as how I will be voting on various referenda and amendments that are on the ballot. Apparently though, there are many people out there who are "swayable", even at this late date. How do I know this? By the incredible flood of political advertisements stuffing my mailbox, most of them virulently negative and even hateful toward the opposing candidate.

I've gotten to the point where, just by seeing an ad from a distance, I can guess who is putting it out. If it features a candidate either in black and white or "fuzzed" up, then the opposing candidate is putting it out. If the picture shows a candidate in relief with large-print words next to it, then the same holds, with that candidate being vilified for having said something (probably taken completely out of context) at some point during his or her lifetime. But if the picture is in color, especially if it pictures the candidate together with family (the more children the better), then you can bet your bottom dollar that this one is that candidate's "positive" ad.

Speaking of that last comment, I have to this day yet to figure out why some candidates for public office have the notion that they will be better public servants than their opponents because they have demonstrated what compulsive breeders they are! But then again, this may all be a part of trying to gain whatever edge they can to sway those nincompoop "still-undecided" voters!

Speaking of nincompoop voters, we've had early voting in Alachua County since October 18. Yesterday I went to my local public library branch, which also is serving as an early voting location, to replace a lost library card. The parking lot was overflowing, packed with people apparently desperate to get their votes in early (the last available day for "early" voting, that is). I lucked out when, having given up on finding a parking spot and making my way toward the exit, a car suddenly pulled out and left me its space. Having seen this spectacle on Saturday, I predict once again a virtually empty polling precinct on Tuesday morning when my wife and I go to cast OUR votes! Imagine that, actually voting on Election Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment