Wednesday, September 29, 2010

14.65 Mile Training Run

Yesterday I went out to run on my personally designed course through my neighborhood and the adjoining NW 53 Avenue/Mile Run area, initially intending to cover about 7 miles. The temperatures had fallen to the upper 70s and the humidity was bearable, so I gave myself the option of going a little further if I felt up to it. I did.

I ended up covering my entire 14.65 mile course, the third longest distance I have ever covered, in the time of 2:23:29. This time, which encompassed periodic short walking breaks interspersed throughout the run, was still at a faster pace than the LifeSouth half-marathon (13.1 miles) I ran back in February, then under much more runner-friendly climatic conditions. I intend to maintain this pace (along with the walking breaks) all the way into the marathons I plan to run, starting with the December 19 marathon in Jacksonville.

My recovery period after the 14.65 run was outstanding. No cramping or aches occurred during the run or thereafter, and I went on to work a very physically-active nine-hour shift with no problem. There was a little soreness in my legs toward the workday's end. Today even that soreness has gone, although I will still take a break from running until tomorrow.

I'm ready to extend my course further...say, to about 17 miles. Maybe I'll try it out next week. Eventually, I intend to cover the full marathon distance (26.2 miles) on at least one of these training runs before I run in the December Jax event. Accompanying, substantially lower temperatures will be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment