Sunday, August 1, 2010

Wife's 30-Year High School Reunion

My wife and I just came back today from attending her thirty-year high school reunion in Leesburg, Florida. I actually lived there during a seven/eight month stretch in 1987, so I was also looking forward to seeing how much the place had changed (or stayed the same). Melissa got to meet up with several old friends from her high school days, with the spirit of the event being very positive.

I heard it remarked that, for at least this graduating class reunion, the old social cliques had dissolved with a high level of friendliness cutting across the old divisions. Would that it be so in all reunions! That's probably the one thing that most stands in my way of attending one of my old high school reunions. I can't imagine people letting go of the old artificial social divisions that gave them a sense of security and/or superiority in those long bygone years.

Of course, if there are still those kinds of "subdivisions" within my own high school's graduating class ('74), then that really isn't my problem, is it? I would probably be most interested anyway in seeing how those who were my friends back then are doing now.

Being pretty much the quintessential tag-along spouse for someone else's event, I still had a rather good time at Melissa's reunion. Plus, I got to run down the streets of Leesburg, something that I had never done before (I wasn't into running back in '87). All in all, a really nice experience with some really nice folks. And that's saying a lot, since I tend to avoid using the word "nice" on this blog!

I still have frozen mental pictures of my old classmates as they were in the early 70's, although they have obviously aged just like me. Once I was able to get on a reunion website of my old high school and looked at some pictures of my old classmates, none of whom I could recognize (the fact that the pictures weren't captioned didn't help). With Melissa's reunion, I had the reverse problem: without ingrained memories, I easily accepted the present relatively aged appearance of her classmates, trying instead to guess (with difficulty) how they must have appeared during their more youthful "glory days". Well, I guess it's about time to fish out her old yearbook to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment