I have written on this blog before, noting how I didn't understand the great appeal of Facebook. I have been observing my wife and daughter get totally into this Internet networking thing, though, and they like it a lot. Finally, it began to dawn upon my oft-slow mind what it's all about. And why it runs in direct contradiction to my own philosophy of blogging.
People who network using Facebook are basically taking people they already know and using the site to draw themselves closer together. If newer "friends" are added, then these are mostly relatives or friends of those they already know. So with Facebook, we see a kind of tribal, clannish drawing together of people, a (sophisticated) kind of semi-closed community that is largely reflective of the participants' already-established relationships. To me, this is too much like the stereotypical view of life in a small town, where everyone knows each other and the minutest details about their lives. And which includes excluding outsiders whom they don't think merit being admitted into their "circle". Apparently, this kind of social existence is what many actively seek. But not me.
No, I tend to be a bit insulated about sharing my life with others. Wait, you say, you've been writing a blog on an almost daily basis for well over three years, putting it all out there for anyone in the world with Internet access to see. If that's you saying that, then I would respond by agreeing with you somewhat and then making my point: by doing this, I am not drawing in the wagon trains around me with family and friends like in Facebook. No, I am instead reaching out to ANYONE in the world who is interested in communicating with me! If you're a friend who reads my ridiculous blog, then that is totally cool and welcome. But I also appreciate it when people from just about any place imaginable drop in to read what I have, whether or not they happen to agree with me. This sort of thing just doesn't happen on a Facebook level.
As for me sharing details of my personal life on my blog with strangers, two points.
One, I don't share the most intimate stuff. Two, I regard what I do share as basically "human" information that others, regardless of their background and belief systems, can relate to as they are also most likely very closely involved in the lifelong act of "being human". In other words, this is the diametrically opposite emphasis from the tribalism of Facebook.
Since my blog gives anyone the opportunity make pertinent comments about any of my articles, even anonymously, I feel that it provides at least structure conducive to reasonable interaction. But still...
The overwhelming trend seems to be increasingly in favor of Facebook and away from traditional blogging. Maybe I need to make a concerted effort to join up with some of those blog directories and circles that I come across from time to time. Just to allow others greater exposure to the blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment