Saturday, August 21, 2010

Christopher Plover and Lev Grossman

Lev Grossman, literary critic for Time magazine and the author of the best-selling novel Codex, wrote The Magicians, a novel that reflects and expands upon the world of magic as revealed by J.K. Rowling in her successful Harry Potter series. Only with Grossman, his novel painted the characters (his own, not hers) with true humanity, each one a mixture of the good and bad, the weak and the strong; Rowling instead tended more to ascribe virtues and vices to distinctively mark her individual characters. For this reason and many more, I enjoyed reading The Magicians. After all, with Harry Potter, I kept identifying myself with protagonist Potter's adversary Draco Malfoy, who in retrospect was much more realistically human than any of the "good guys". With Quentin Coldwater, the main character in The Magicians, there is plenty of "dark" Draco to go around, not to mention a good dose of virtue as well.

Grossman also drew upon the fantasy genre of the earlier twentieth century, making frequent reference to Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia. But his chief inspiration was a series of "lighter" fantasy novels written earlier by an American named Christopher Plover titled Fillory and Further. In the fantasy realm of Fillory, there were talking animals, a supposedly evil woman who froze time, and... are you thinking what I'm thinking? That damned C.S. Lewis totally ripped off Plover when he wrote Chronicles of Narnia! The outrage of it all! Well, I could see that good ol' Lev Grossman saw this as well, not wanting to miss a chance to elevate Plover to his proper place as a premier, trailblazing fantasy writer. So he made Plover's Fillory the centerpiece of The Magicians. Good for him, at least a little justice being done here...

I managed to find a website devoted to preserving the memory of Christopher Plover and promoting his books about Fillory. The books, pictured on the right-hand side of the page, corresponded to Grossman's depictions in his novel. This only made me more indignant at the injustice done to Plover's literary legacy. Then I looked at the bottom of Plover's website at a list of links. All of them referred back to Grossman and The Magicians. The website was a plant, a hoax.

There never really was a Christopher Plover nor a series of books about a fantasy land called Fillory. Grossman invented it all and even had a little fun with his hoax. I even found another site that gave a review on Plover and his series. What a chump, for that reviewer to be taken in like that (after all, I only bought into it for a few minutes)! But wait, I'll bet that review was also a plant by Grossman!

The Magicians is just the first book about Quentin Coldwater and his adventures through a life of magic. It is very, very adult-themed, so I don't think it will make the Scholastic Book-of-the-Month Club (if there really is such a thing) anytime soon. But it was fun and interesting reading. The sequel is reportedly due out sometime in 2011; but having already experienced firsthand how Lev Grossman can mess around with people's minds, I'll just let myself be pleasantly surprised if and when it comes out. And then make sure my local public library stocks up on it!

Hey Grossman---you da man!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you did this thing. I've been looking all over the place for these books for weeks and not finding a thing. I asked librarians, teachers, you name it. It really upsets me that they're fake.

    ReplyDelete