I am suffering from an imagination deficit. The thought occurred to me that it would be cool if I were to do or experience at least one completely new thing each day and keep a personal record of my journey. But as I go through my routines, I find few opportunities around me to accomplish this, other than trying out variations on what I am already doing.
For example, I tend to sit at coffee shops. Why not try the Latin Cafe, which probably serves Cuban coffee? Or maybe a similar place elsewhere that enables me to sit and study without spending too much money at a time? But would this really qualify as a new experience?
I could do something like rollerskating, skateboard, skydiving, or rock climbing. There, that takes care of four days! Ultimately, it seems that in the final analysis that I would indeed have to include variations on what I already do.
For example, take dancing, which I just don't do. There are many different types of dancing and dabbling in each would constitute a "new" activity. Visiting different parks and attractions could also constitute different activities. Volunteer projects abound, and each could count as something different to do.
Still, it might be a bit too much to pressure myself to do something different every day. Better maybe to extend the span to each week, enabling me to plan better and to enjoy more substantial experiences.
It seems to me that there are three kinds of "new" activities. The first is what I would call "initiative", i.e. something that I truly haven't done before that will build upon itself as I subsequently engage in it again and again, growing in the process. My earlier examples are largely within this group. The second is "transformational", meaning it may be an activity I had been doing but I take it to a brand-new level of engagement and achievement. And the third is "punctuated": an activity that is new but is more experiential than accomplishment-oriented (e.g. visiting places like NYC).
What I will do is just write down on a blank paper all of the things and places I want to do and visit. And make some plans!
Friday, July 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment