So this evening on ESPN, after weeks of unwarranted hype and excessive analysis and speculation, one of the National Basketball Association's all-time talents (and prima donnas), LeBron James, will reveal the team he has decided to bestow his grand presence on. James has been on the Cleveland Cavaliers and led them to great seasons recently, but never has been able to capture the league title. As if he were entitled to it. So the whole buzz around the sports media has been to guess how James will get other teams to assemble a lineup that will accommodate his championship hopes.
I don't know why LeBron James should feel "entitled" to an NBA championship. As talented as he is, James suffers from poor sportsmanship (refusing to congratulate Orlando Magic players after their 2009 playoff victory over his Cavaliers) as well as the bad habit of not giving it his all every time he goes out on the court. Had he put out a consistent effort in Cleveland's losing playoff series this year against the Boston Celtics, I have no doubt that he would have gotten his title shot against the Los Angeles Lakers.
LeBron James will most likely either go to New York or stay in Cleveland. Miami and Chicago have also been mentioned as possible destinations. If he truly does want to be on a championship team, then James needs a supporting cast of players that will help compensate for his own shortcomings (which he probably doesn't even recognize). To that end, Chicago or Miami would be better choices.
Whichever team he chooses, it will be nice to have LeBron James finally out of the sports headlines. My personal choice would be for him to pick the most obscure team, in the most obscure league, and in the most obscure location on the planet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
And, so, he's announced that he's going to Miami. Even I heard that, tonight on the radio — even I, who wasn't sure whether he played basketball or football, or whatever, until recently.
ReplyDeleteI think it would have been fitting if all the teams had decided that they didn't want him, because of his attitude.
But, naaaaaaah... the teams want that championship even more than Mr James does, and if they think he can help them get it, his attitude could scrape the depths of hell for all they care.
Well (groan), Miami isn't exactly the obscure place I was hoping James would pick. But then again, I never rooted very much for the Miami Heat to begin with. Now I won't be rooting for them at all.
ReplyDelete